Thousands of parents in England are expected to miss out on their first choice of primary school on Tuesday when local authorities notify families where their child will start their education in September. The Guardian reports.
About half a million families will be contacted on national offer day, mainly by email. Although pressure on places in primary schools has eased slightly in some areas of the country, headteachers have warned an increasingly fragmented school system has led to a lack of coordinated planning for places.
Last year, 91% of children were offered their first choice of primary school and 97.7% got one of their top three choices, but thousands were still disappointed, with some failing to secure a place at any of their preferred primaries.
The Department for Education (DfE) said the figures had been gradually improving since 2014 and the government was on track to create a million new school places by the end of this decade.
Research published by the New Schools Network (NSN), the charity once led by Toby Young which campaigns for the opening of free schools, highlights Ofsted data which shows that 2,223 primary schools are rated as inadequate or requires improvement.
“This means that around 95,000 four and five year olds will be starting their school days in schools that are not good enough,” the research stated. The NSN wants the government to make “poor” educational standards the primary criteria for approving new free schools, rather than demand. In response the DfE said that 87% of primary schools are now judged good or outstanding, compared with 67% in 2010.
Please tell us your thoughts in comments or via Twitter ~ Tamsin
Don’t forget you can sign up to receive our daily email bulletin (around 7am) with all the latest schools news stories. Your details will never be given to anyone else and you can unsubscribe at any stage. Just follow this link
We now have a Facebook page - pls click to like!