The Mirror is reporting that four teenage girls have been suspended from school for eating cannabis-lined ‘space cakes’ they baked at home.
The girls, aged between 13 and 14, were caught by teachers eating the cakes lined with cannabis, and immediately sent home.
Governors at the Baines High School in Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancs, said there is a ‘zero tolerance’ policy on drugs in class and called on parents to take responsibility for their children’s behaviour.
Head of governors David Jesson said: “At most schools there are occasions where pupils are caught with stuff in their pockets but on the whole, this is an incident which is totally out of character for the school.
“The school has dealt with this immediately and a warning will also be sent out to pupils that this behaviour will not be tolerated.
“It’s always a shock when this sort of thing happens.
“Unfortunately we have no control of pupils once they are out of school and I understand this product – this cake – was made at home and brought into school.
“All parents have a responsibility to ensure their children are properly looked after and to do the right thing when they are not on school premises.
“It’s the school’s responsibility to ensure that if they don’t do that, actions are taken to ensure they suffer the consequences, and that other pupils are fully aware there will no no tolerance on this sort of thing.”
…A spokeswoman for Lancashire Police said the incident had not been reported as a crime.
Thoughts on how a school should deal with an incident like this? Please let us know in the comments or via Twitter…
Don’t forget you can sign up to receive our daily email bulletin every morning (around 7 am) with all the latest schools news stories. Your details will never be given to anyone else and you can unsubscribe at any stage. Just follow this link