The Bradford Telegraph & Argus is reporting that a local school was evacuated this week when a science experiment resulted in a ‘violent reaction’ and fire.
Around 1,500 pupils were evacuated at around 12.45 after a science teacher at Thornton Grammar School conducted an experiment involving a Bunsen burner and the pyrotechnic compound thermite.
The resultant chemical reaction turned out to be more violent than expected, according to the fire service.
Molten metal fell down the back of a radiator, causing a fire in some rubbish which was extinguished by the science teacher using sand and water.
The chemical reaction also damaged worktops and uPVC windows.
According to the fire service, the experiment, which is common in schools, had been conducted behind a perspex screen and the pupils had been wearing goggles. No-one was hurt.
The fire service was called to the school but the fire was out by the time they arrived…
I don’t want to make light of an incident that could have been dangerous, but I bet the students had a good 😆 and remember it more than anything else they learn in chemistry (says the former chemistry student).
Are you a trainee teacher, NQT, teacher, headteacher, parent or just someone who cares about education and has something to get off your chest in a Schools Improvement Guest Post? Follow this link for more details at the bottom of the page.Don’t forget you can sign up to receive our daily email bulletin (around 7am) with all the latest schools news stories. Your details will never be given to anyone else and you can unsubscribe at any stage. Just follow this link.
We now have a Facebook page - please click to like!