The Huffington Post is reporting that the health secretary met with bosses of companies including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Apple in November, but on Sunday he expressed his disappointment that not enough progress had been made to better protect children.
In a strongly-worded letter, Hunt said the tech giants were “collectively turning a blind eye to a whole generation of children being exposed to the harmful emotional side effects of social media prematurely”.
He said this was both “morally wrong and deeply unfair on parents”, as well as “unacceptable and irresponsible” to put parents in a position where they were forced to choose between allowing their children to use platforms which they are too young to access or exclude them from taking part with their peers.
In a column for the Sunday Times, Hunt added that he “felt a growing sense of unease, both as a parent and as health minister” and spoke of his fears for his own children, aged three, six and seven.Hunt said that he would consider legislation to try to improve the situation.
Hunt has also asked the chief medical officer to review the impact of technology on children and young people’s mental health
Please tell us your thoughts in comments or via Twitter ~ Tamsin
Don’t forget you can sign up to receive our daily email bulletin (around 7am) with all the latest schools news stories. Your details will never be given to anyone else and you can unsubscribe at any stage. Just follow this link
We now have a Facebook page - pls click to like!