The Mirror is reporting that four school children have been rushed to hospital after consuming a white powder they thought was a sweet that turned out to be cocaine .
Dorset Police said yesterday that emergency services were called to Broadstone Middle School which has around 500 pupils aged between nine and 13.
Police added that a 32-year-old Bournemouth man was arrested on suspicion of drug offences and is on police bail pending further enquiries.
A police spokesman confirmed that all four children involved were pupils at the school but declined to reveal their ages or sexes.
“Police were called after reports that four pupils had taken a white powder,” he said. “The children believed the substance was sweets, but it has now been established it was cocaine.
“While it was not believed any of the children ingested the powder, they were taken to hospital to be checked over.
The incident, revealed for the first time today, took place on Tuesday January 3rd, the first day of the school term after the Christmas holiday. Now an investigation is under way to establish how the substance got into the school.
Head teacher Dawn Wilks said “We can confirm that a child at Broadstone Middle School in Poole was found in possession of what was believed to be a drug.
“The police were immediately called and four children taken to hospital to be checked over. They were not found to have any health issues and were discharged the same day.”
I’m glad that the children weren’t harmed. I’d like to know how they managed to get hold of the ‘sweets’! Let us know your thoughts in the coments below or on Twitter. ~ Sophie
Don’t forget you can sign up to receive our daily email bulletin (around 7am) with all the latest schools news stories. Your details will never be given to anyone else and you can unsubscribe at any stage. Just follow this link
We now have a Facebook page - pls click to like!