Coroner to recommend all nursery staff get paediatric first aid training

The BBC is reporting that a coroner is to recommend all nursery staff receive paediatric first aid training after a baby’s choking death…

The death of a baby who choked while eating her nursery lunch was an accident, an inquest has found.

Millie Thompson died in October 2012 after eating shepherd’s pie at Ramillies Hall School and Nursery in Cheadle Hulme, Greater Manchester.

An inquest jury concluded the nine-month-old baby’s death was misadventure and no-one was to blame.

The coroner is to recommend to the government that all nursery staff are trained in paediatric first aid.

More at:  Millie Thompson baby choking death was ‘accident’

Is it surprising that this isn’t already the case? Would it be a good idea? Please share in the comments or on twitter… 

University places restriction lifted and funded by student loans sell-off
Teachers want home-made appreciation at Christmas (although pampering is nice too!)
Categories: Health and Pre-school.

Comments

  1. equibanter

    SchoolsImprove It surprises me that they don’t.Shouldn’t be generic 1stAid in a nursery.Tho,they couldn’t av donemore4thatlittlegirl

  2. climbdg5

    Primr0se1 SchoolsImprove assume nothing..PE staff not normally either…even HSE standard FAaW is basically call 999

  3. ljp84

    Primr0se1 SchoolsImprove there is no dfe guidlunes to ensure all staff are trained. All schools make policies based on assessed needs.

Let us know what you think...