The Guardian is reporting that the family of a 14-year-old Muslim student who got in trouble over a homemade clock mistaken for a possible bomb withdrew the boy on Monday from his suburban Dallas high school.
Ahmed Mohamed’s father, Mohamed El-Hassan Mohamed, said he has pulled all of his children from schools in the Irving independent school district. Mohamed said the family is still deciding where to send the children to school.
Ahmed said he brought the clock he made to MacArthur high school in Irving last week to show a teacher. Officials say he was arrested after another teacher saw it and became concerned.
Ahmed was not charged, but he was suspended from school for three days.
“Ahmed said, ‘I don’t want to go to MacArthur,’” Ahmed’s father told the Dallas Morning News. “These kids aren’t going to be happy there.”
…Numerous schools have offered to enroll Ahmed, his father said. But Mohamed said he wants to give his son a break before making a decision…
When they return, a visit to the White House and a meeting with Obama is in the works, he said.
This decision hardly seems surprising in the circumstances.
Let’s hope things work out well for Ahmed and his family, and that the publicity surrounding the incident results in a positive change in some attitudes in the US.
Don’t forget you can sign up to receive our daily email bulletin every morning (around 7 am) with all the latest schools news stories. Your details will never be given to anyone else and you can unsubscribe at any stage. Just follow this link